Schnabel Engineering is seeking a Senior Tunnel Cost Estimator with strong organizational and communication skills to join our Tunnel Engineering Services Group. The successful candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter capable of handling multiple deadlines.
- Lead and direct cost estimating efforts on complex tunnel and other heavy civil projects in the markets of transportation, water/wastewater, and hydropower.
- Produce bid-level-quality estimates in HCSS HeavyBid including:
- perform quantity take-offs;
- develop appropriate local labor and equipment rental rates;
- estimate production rates and crew sizes;
- solicit material quotes;
- utilize RS Means or similar sources for smaller price items or non-disciplinary data;
- incorporate effects of different local tax rates; and
- apply appropriate markups and advise regarding provision of contingencies.
- Develop other appropriate levels of cost analysis (Class 5 to Class 1) depending on degree of project definition and other factors.
- Develop conceptual project schedules.
- Review in-progress design drawings and specifications for constructability issues and identify potential cost savings strategies.
- Review specifications for prescriptive language versus performance standards, consistency between specifications and with drawings, appropriate level of detail, etc.
- Develop specifications for Measurement and Payment.
- Participate in formal and informal Value Engineering and Risk Analysis workshops for projects.
- Provide QA review of estimate work performed by others.
- Review contractor’s cost proposals including: merit, scope, labor rates, labor hours, production rates, overtime, quantities, material pricing, equipment rental rates, markups, credits, etc.
- Participate or facilitate negotiation meetings with contractors and develop the record of negotiation documentation.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- At least 15 years of total experience, with 10 to 15 years in performing construction cost estimates and reviewing and negotiating contractor's price and cost proposals for tunnel and other heavy civil construction projects.
- US Citizenship (native) is required. Candidates must be capable of obtaining DOD security clearance at a minimum Secret level.
- Proficiency in HCSS HeavyBid estimating software.
- Experience with Microsoft Project and/or Primavera P6.
- Some experience in the formal Value Engineering process is preferred.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates a proactive, firm, and respectful approach to estimate reconciliation efforts and change order processing.
- Ability to manage projects.
- Willingness to travel and make site/field visits.
- Ability to pass a background check which may include criminal history, motor vehicle record and credit check.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug screening.
For 60 years, Schnabel Engineering, an employee-owned company, has been focused on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in geotechnical, geostructural, dam and tunnel engineering. We are an ENR Top 250 geotechnical engineering firm dedicated to excellence in client service, high quality, and value added solutions. If you have an interest in joining our team, please apply below.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability